- Located in the South East of Ireland, Waterford City has a residential population of 50,000 and a further 220,000 within a 60 minute radius.
- This is boosted by an average of 500,000 visitors annually and a further 10,000 students attending Waterford Institute of Technology.
- Waterford City is a major employment centre for the south east with over 1,000 new jobs created since 2016. Multinationals based in Waterford include Sanofi, TEVA, Sun Life Financial, Bausch+Lomb, Red Hat, Tech Mahindra and Bluefin.
- €17.3m is currently being invested in the public realm with works due to be completed by 2018.
- There is a high level of affordable public and private car parking available in the city centre (4,000+ spaces).
- Waterford City is served by a comprehensive transport network and is situated on a number of critical and linking transport corridors.
Retail in Waterford City
Waterford city centre is an attractive and vibrant retail destination with a broad range of tourism, cultural, retail, services and leisure activities. The city centre is home to a mix high street retailers, independent boutique style operations and a vibrant café culture. Activity in the city centre stretches into the evening and night time supported by the accredited Purple Flag initiative.
Waterford City centre offers a diverse range of property solutions combining existing contemporary and heritage buildings suitable for a range of uses including retail and hospitality.
Prime retail locations in Waterford City include:
- The pedestrianised areas of Barronstrand Street and John Roberts Square where you will find retailers including Tommy Hilfiger, Clarks, H. Samuels, Skechers, Starbucks and Penneys.
- City Square Shopping Centre which is currently undergoing a €6m re-development creating a new two storey MSU unit and food court. Anchor tenants include Dunnes, Debenhams, a flagship River Island, Inglot, Peter Marks and J.D. Sports. The centre has 450 on site car park spaces.
- Georges Court Shopping Centre accommodates a number of major retailers including Boots, Mother Care, Carraig Donn and Pamela Scott.
- The adjacent streets of Michael Street, and Georges Street which is anchored by Shaws Department Store provide a strong support to these locations and completes the retail circuit.
New Developments in Waterford City centre
City Square Shopping Centre Re-development
The City Square Shopping Centre is located in the centre of Waterford City at the heart of the city’s retail and historic, medieval core. The €6m redevelopment includes the upgrade of the key approach to the centre from Broad Street via Peter street and the establishment a new high quality retail environment on the Peter Street mall. The location of a new a two storey retail MSU (major space user) unit of 1,300m², a single storey retail unit of 170m² and additional remote storage space at this end of the centre will upgrade and reinforce the quality of the retail offer, increase footfall, and encourage pedestrian movement between the centre and the adjoining city retail core.
For more information, please click here.
Proposed Apple Market Shopping Centre
Plans are in place for a new shopping centre in the heart of Waterford City centre which will transform the area and create an attractive retail space for a variety of businesses. The site is bounded by Alexander Street to the north; Michael Street to the east, Stephen’s Street to the west and New Street to the south.
The new shopping centre, which is arranged over two levels, will feature retail and food units, two new covered pedestrian streets, a new square, urban garden and an adjoining multi storey car park reached by a pedestrian bridge.
Total floor area: 26,030m²
- Retail area: 10,030m²
- Café/restaurant area: 635m²
- Anchor store: 2,830m²
- 5 medium size units: 737m² - 1,434m²
- 10 smaller units: 45m² - 416m²
For details of incentives available for retailers in Waterford City centre, please click here or contact:
Lisa Grant on 0761 109709 or firstname.lastname@example.org
City Centre Liaison
For general queries on Waterford City centre, please contact our City Centre Liaison:
Maureen Fitzsimons on 0761 102661 or email@example.com