- Waterford is Ireland’s 5th largest city and is the major urban centre and economic capital of the South Eastern region. The city has been designated as a gateway city by the Government under the 'National Spatial Strategy for Ireland' plan. The Irish Government's 'Project Ireland 2040' has identified that Waterford has significant growth potential, with expected economic growth in the region of 50% to 2040.
- Waterford City has a residential population of 53,504 (2016 Census) and a further 500,000 within a 60 minute radius. In addition, 'Project Ireland 2040' predicts that Waterford City & Suburbs will reach a population of 81,000 by 2040.
- This is boosted by an average of approximately 500,000 visitors annually and a further 10,000 students attending Waterford Institute of Technology.
- Waterford City is a major employment centre for the south east with over 1,500 new jobs created since 2016. Multinationals based in Waterford include GlaxoSmithKline, West Pharmaceuticals, Aquasyn Biosolutions, Nypro Healthcare, Sanofi, TEVA, Sun Life Financial, Bausch+Lomb, Red Hat, Tech Mahindra and Bluefin.
- €17.3m has been invested in the City Centre public realm with works completed at the end of 2018.
- There is a high level of affordable public and private car parking available in the city centre (4,000+ spaces).
- Waterford City is served by a comprehensive transport network and is situated on a number of critical and linking transport corridors. Also its main river-port is the only port in Ireland with potential direct access to the Irish Rail network.
Retail in Waterford City
Waterford City centre is an attractive and vibrant retail destination with a broad range of tourism, cultural, retail, services and leisure activities. The city centre is home to a mix of high street retailers, independent boutiques and a vibrant café culture. Activity in the city centre stretches into the evening and night time supported by the accredited Purple Flag initiative.
Waterford City centre offers a diverse range of property solutions combining existing contemporary and heritage buildings suitable for a range of uses including retail and hospitality.
Prime retail locations in Waterford City include:
- The pedestrianised areas of Barronstrand Street and John Roberts Square, where you will find retailers including Tommy Hilfiger, Clarks, H. Samuel, Skechers, Lifestyle Sports and Penneys, along with nearby cafés and eateries such as Starbucks, Costa Coffee, McDonalds, Supermacs & O' Brien's Sandwich Café.
- City Square Shopping Centre, which recently underwent a €6m re-development creating a new two storey MSU unit and food court (with Abrakebabra, Starbucks & O' Briens Sandwich Cafe current tenants). Anchor tenants include Dunnes Stores, Debenhams, a flagship River Island, Inglot, Carraig Donn, Peter Marks, J.D. Sports, Holland and Barrett & Specsavers. The centre has 450 on-site car parking spaces.
- Georges Court Shopping Centre accommodates a number of major retailers including Boots and Pamela Scott, along with other small independent shops, boutiques and cafés.
- The adjacent streets of Michael Street, and Georges Street (anchored by Shaws Department Store) provide a strong support to these locations and complete the retail circuit.
- Waterford's independent retailers are an essential part of the City Centre landscape, with shops such as Heroes, Phelans Shoes, The Book Centre, Mulligans Pharmacies, Jenny Shoo Boutique, The Hanger Boutique, Kneisel Jewellers, and Hallmark Jewellers to name but a few!!
New Developments in Waterford City centre
City Square Shopping Centre Re-development
City Square Shopping Centre is located in the centre of Waterford City at the heart of the city’s retail and historic, medieval core. The €6m redevelopment includes the upgrade of the key approach to the centre from Broad Street via Peter street and the establishment of a new high quality retail environment on the Peter Street mall. The location of a new a two storey retail MSU (major space user) unit of 1,300m², a single storey retail unit of 170m² and additional remote storage space at this end of the centre will upgrade and reinforce the quality of the retail offer, increase footfall, and encourage pedestrian movement between the centre and the adjoining city retail core.
For more information, please click here.
For details of incentives available for retailers in Waterford City centre, please click here or contact:
Claire Loughnane on 0761 102582 or email@example.com
City Centre Liaison
For general queries on Waterford City centre, please contact our City Centre Liaison:
Maureen Fitzsimons on 0761 102661 or firstname.lastname@example.org